J. Luther King, Jr. is President and Founder of Luther King Capital Management (LKCM). As a Fort Worth native, he attended Fort Worth public schools and then earned both his Bachelor of Science in 1962 and his Master of Business Administration in 1966 from Texas Christian University.
Mr. King’s professional career began in 1963 as a credit analyst at First National Bank of Fort Worth. Enlisted in the U.S. Air Force Reserve, he was honorably discharged in 1968. Two years later, Mr. King went to work for Shareholders Management Company (later a part of American General Insurance) as a senior investment officer managing mutual fund assets.
In 1973, he joined Lionel D. Edie & Company – a New York-based investment firm – as Director and Manager of the Dallas office. The company was sold to Manufacturers Hanover Trust in December of 1978. Three months later, in February of 1979, Mr. King founded LKCM.
Leadership & Contributions:
- Founding member of the Strategic Advisory Board of the CFA Society of Dallas/Fort Worth.
- Former Trustee of St. Mark’s School of Texas.
- Past Chairman of the Board of the Investment Adviser Association.
- Past member and past Committee Chairman of the Investment Advisory Committee for the Trustees of the Employees Retirement System of Texas.
- Past Vice Chairman of the Board to the University of Texas Investment Management Company, which handles the endowment of the University of Texas as well as a portion of the endowment for Texas A&M University.
- Trustee and former Chairman of the Board of Trustees at Texas Christian University.
- Past President of the Board of Governors of the Fort Worth Club.
- Served on the Board of Directors of four public companies, where he also served as Chairman of various audit and compensation committees.
- Current Board Member of several privately held companies and philanthropic organizations.
Awards & Recognition:
- Recipient of Texas Christian University’s Distinguished Alumnus Award in 1992.
- Named “Most Inspiring” in the Investment Advisory Profession by CFA Magazine, Nov/Dec 2006 Issue.
- Awarded the Daniel J. Forrestal III Leadership Award for Professional Ethics & Standards of Investment Practice by the CFA Institute in May 2008.